Vancouver Unitarian member and Director of Lifespan Faith Development was elected to be President of the Canadian Unitarian Council (CUC) at its Annual General Meeting on 19 May 2023. Congratulations to Kiersten!!
The hybrid meeting lasted 4 hours and included approximately 50 delegates online via zoom and a similar number face to face in Ottawa. At the time of registration CUC was comprised of 41 congregations with 3,845 members with 114 delegates.
Some highlights of the meeting:
- Approved various Bylaw Amendments as presented.
- Postponed Indefinitely the motion to approve proposed 2023 Goals and Strategic Priorities.
This was preceded by extensive discussion of this complex document. The Board will seek more input on it and bring forward a revised document at a future date TBA.
- Approved a motion to repudiate the Doctrine of Discovery and implement a related action plan.
- Approved an update of the 2023 budget and a preliminary 2024 budget, with some concern expressed due to volatile investments and larger than usual planned deficits.
- Appointed auditors and approved the audited financial report for 2023.
- Thanked staff and volunteers for their dedicated work on behalf of CUC member congregations over the past year.
- Noted that Rev Anne Barker (Edmonton) has been hired as the new full time CUC staff person – Congregational Life: Lead, BC and West Regions (replacing Joan Carolyn who retired recently).
- Appointed Nicole MacKay as a Chaplain to the Canadian Military.
- Noted that Rev Samaya Oakley (South Fraser/Calgary) has been elected as President of the Unitarian Universalist Ministers of Canada (UUMOC) for 2023-24.
- Elected and installed a new CUC Board for 2023-24 comprised as follows:
- President: Kiersten Moore, BC Region
- Vice-President: Margaret Kohr, Central Region
- Co-Treasurer: Yvette Salinas, Eastern Region
- Co-Treasurer: Margaret Wanlin, Western Region
- Secretary: Rev Rodrigo Solano-Quesnel, Central Region
- Member at Large, BC Region: Rev Debra Faulk, BC Region
- Senior Youth Observer: Artemisia Frolic-Smart, Central Region
- Minister Observer: Rev Shana Lynngood, BC Region
Meeting background documents can be found here.
Thanks to the six Vancouver members who volunteered to be UCV’s delegates at this year’s meeting: Emilie Adin, Lynn Armstrong, Marg Fletcher, Leslie Kemp, Tamiko Suzuki and Keith Wilkinson.
At the 2023 CUC AGM in Ottawa.