At the October 16 Forum we updated attendees about matters concerning our legal name. 31-34 were in the Fireside room and 3 attended remotely.
The September 18 FORUM was on the topic of WHAT NAME THAT WE CAN ALL LIVE WITH WOULD MOST LIKELY SUPPORT OUR FUTURE VIABILITY WHILE STILL HONOURING OUR JOURNEY TO THE PRESENT.
The October 16 Forum focused on VOTING PROCEDURES AND LEGAL REQUIREMENTS to maintain our charitable status.
Because of the diversity of opinions about whether our legal name should continue to contain Church or not, and uncertainty about whether we all can find common ground about our name, we presented a democratic method for decision making. A PowerPoint presentation about ranked ballots was shown. This is a way of eliminating the less popular alternatives one at a time to arrive at the most popular ones. A second vote will be held between the most popular alternative and Unitarian Church of Vancouver.
The threshold percentage for the second vote required to change our current name will be decided by the Board.
We do not want to rush through this process. It’s emotional for many who need time to consider the implications. The final vote may not happen until the new year.
If you were unable to attend, you are welcome to contact us with your questions and concerns.