Twelve people participated in our (first?) vegan cooking zoom call.
There seems to be enthusiasm so we may pursue this further, possibly with a monthly “ethical eating” zoom call, sharing our questions, answers, recipes. If you’d be interested, let me know at email@example.com.
- vegan desserts
- environmental effects of the animal industry
- nutrition issues
Denise has sent me a lot of information that I’ve pasted below.
If you’re on Facebook, do join us at the Unitarian Ethical Eating Group, https://www.facebook.com/groups/unitarianethicaleating/
Goals of the Ethical Eating Group:
- build education and awareness around the importance of food choices
- respect individual choices and diversity – provide support and information for people wanting to shift their eating choices
- encourage congregational engagement on ethical eating and action.
- provide information on Unitarian and Unitarian Universalist initiatives related to ethical eating and encourage people to engage as individuals or as congregations
Approved by the Environment Committee of the Unitarian Church of Vancouver on October 13, 2013.
More resources from Denise
And here are some links and information from Denise sent after the session for sharing:
I like Miyoko’s Kitchen Cheeses available from Vegan Supply 250 East Pender
And this website links to her almond ricotta recipe.
Tempea brand local tempeh
But if one is already iron-deficient, taking a round of supplements will likely bring iron levels up faster.
Here’s a list of umami condiments and ingredients.
- Toasted Sesame Oil
- Soy Sauce & Tamari & Shouyu
- BBQ Sauce
- Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
- Hoisin Sauce
- Chili Sauce & Gochujang
- Black Bean Sauce
- Miso & Doenjang
- Sauerkraut & Kimchi
- Nutritional Yeast
- Rejuvalac & Shio Koji
- Certain Spices, e.g. black salt (kala namak);
- smoked salt;
Basic umami food ingredients
- Seaweed (Kombu)
- Soy Protein
- Concentrated Foods (i.e. dried, reduced, dehydrated, etc.):
- Dried Mushrooms and Tomatoes
- Tomato Paste
- Bouillon Concentrate
- Yeast Extracts
- Balsamic Reduction
- Dried Fruit
- Roasted, Toasted, Browned Foods:
- Toasted Nuts and Seeds
- Roasted Vegetables
- Seared Tofu & Tempeh & Seitan
- Sugar-Based: Alcoholic Beverages, Kombucha
- Veg-Based: Sauerkraut, Kimchi, Pickles
- Mylk-Based: Cheeses, Yogurt, Kefir, Buttermylk
- Grain & Tuber-Based: Breads & Porridges; barley malt; Rejuvelac
- Bean-/Seed-/Nut-Based: Miso, Soy Sauce; Natto; fermented tofu (fulu, or chou doufu); Dosa (fermented lentil & rice crepe)