Topic: Community

Water Communion / In-Gathering

We celebrate the in-gathering of our congregation and the beginning of its 2018 – 19 year with our annual Water Communion. Please bring some water from your summer experiences, as well as an object like a photo, seashell, stone, or feather, that’s special to you.

We’ll fill our common bowl and create an altar.

The Chalice Choir sings.

Order of Service

Order of Service

Am I Welcome Here, Just as I Am?

Canadian Unitarians and Universalists strive to be radically inclusive of people with various social identities. Please join me to reflect on our own social identities and consider the challenges we face to be truly welcoming of others who are similar and different than we are.

Rev. Meg Roberts will be starting her seventh year as quarter-time consulting minister with the Comox Valley Unitarian Fellowship. She lives here in Vancouver, is a member of this congregation, and also does a community ministry using the arts in spiritual exploration. As part of that work last winter, she was in the BC and Alberta tour of Theatre for Living’s forum play šxʷʔamət (home) which explored what true and honourable reconciliation between Indigenous and non-Indigenous Canadians looks like.

Order of Service

Order of Service

Sermon Text

Order of Service

Audio

2018-08-26-Am_I_Welcome_Here_As_I_Am.mp3

Home

Home is where the heart is, and there is no place like home. So what happens when one’s place of refuge is no longer safe?

Laureen will explore how changing expectations, technology, good intentions, and competing priorities can have devastating results for homeowners and tenants. She will weave together stories working with condominium owners, with tenants in the non-profit sector, and the tragedy of Grenfell Towers.

Laureen worked for 10 years as a technologist and project manager in a building science engineering firm, working with condominium owners to diagnose and plan repairs to their buildings, and to prepare financial plans for renewing aging buildings. She currently works in social housing for the YWCA as a building asset manager, looking after the homes of women and children.

Order of Service

Order of Service

Sermon Text

Order of Service

Re-Connecting to Life

Our world is on the edge. The situation is urgent, and suddenly we have startling opportunities. Our responses as global citizens can regenerate a civilization with more joy, abundance, and life-affirming relationships than most people and other creatures experience now. Collaborative grassroots energies are “connecting to life” together for a fair and equitable future. This is rooted in shared awareness of the interdependence of all life, a universal ethic of dignity and respect, and the priority of love and care for the ecosystems of earth, including humans.

Louise is a current Board Member of the MultiFaith Action Society (MAS), the oldest interfaith organization in Canada. For over 40 years MAS has fostered public and comprehensive spiritual awareness of the capacity of world religions to help nurture global peace and harmony.

Order of Service

Order of Service

First and Seventh: A Non-neurotypical Experience of Interdependence and Its Call to Love and Justice

I always knew I was a Unitarian, but I didn’t know I had ADHD for 29 years of my life. When I was diagnosed, suddenly a lifetime of nameless frustrations made sense. Not only wasn’t I somehow broken, but I was in no way alone in my experiences. With this new understanding of why my square peg could never be jammed into the round hole it was given, and the memory of a lifetime of isolation, the 2017 CUC vision of a world in which our interdependence calls us to love and justice speaks to me profoundly. Let me tell you why.

Order of Service

Order of Service

Our Living Tradition or: What Good is a Congregation?

On this First Sunday all-congregation worship, we celebrate the spirit and fact of voluntary service in our congregation and beyond. We’ll look at the crucial role “civil society,” like religion, performs in helping to encourage the integrity of our societies and our individual rights and freedoms.

Given that we’ll all be together, young and old, hopefully, we’ll have some fun in the process.

The Chalice Choir sings.

Order of Service

Order of Service

The Work We Do

Join us in celebration of the work we do. We’ll meet some working members of the congregation who will show us something about their work, why they value it and the value work brings into the world. This will be a fun and meaningful service for all ages.

Chalice Choir sings.

Order of Service

Order of Service