An update from our Refugee Committee – September 23, 2019
- Two refugees received their Canadian citizenship recently. This was very moving as they were Palestinians and stateless their whole life.
- One Syrian family of three (mom, dad and three-year-old daughter) are finishing their sponsorship year. The father is working. They are continuing their English lessons.
- We have sent applications for an Iraqi family of four
- And for one young Iranian LGBT woman refugee in Turkey and one Iranian LGBT young man.
- We are waiting for the arrival of Jean, a Unitarian Burundian refugee in Rwanda but we do not know when.
- We also welcomed four single young Eritrean refugees in Israel this year. They are all working in the day time and learning English in the evening.
- The four young Eritrean men refugees in Israel who arrived at the beginning of last year have completed their sponsorship year at the beginning of 2019. They are all working full time.
- We are preparing an application for a single mom and her young daughter from Iran refugees in Turkey who have family in Vancouver.
If we get extra spaces we will be preparing applications for a family of five and a family of four as long as we can raise the necessary funds.
– from Huguette.
See also the group that Paul Prescod is involved with supporting.
Stop by the Refugee Committee‘s fundraising table any Sunday or contact the committee to support, donate or ask questions.